Hardware layout converter

(Shriramana Sharma) #1

I hope this is the correct category for this post. If not, please move as appropriate.

Remembering having read of a QWERTY - DVORAK hardware adapter a few years back I googled and found this:

http://www.keyghost.com/qido/

But isn’t 150 USD too much for something that merely changes a handful of scancodes? Couldn’t it be done a lot cheaper especially with today’s Arduino etc availability?

(John T. Johnson) #2

Definitely. Or just changing the setting in the OS. I use macOS with Dvorak and don’t have any problems.
This company also makes key loggers. Not cool.

(Gergely Nagy) #3

You can also convert your layout in the firmware, so the adapter becomes unnecessary with any programmable keyboard. With layers, you can even have QWERTY and a DVORAK layer, and switch on demand, no extra hardware or software necessary, and you can even deviate a little from the “stock” layout.

(Noseglasses) #4

Here is a USB to USB converter that probably does what you need. It runs TMK as firmware. There’s also a (dated) review. If you don’t want to build your own, you can buy it for around 60 USD.

This is useful when you want to reprogram an old non-programmable keyboard, thus avoiding having to fiddle with the OS layout.

I stumbled upon the linked thread when I was looking for a way to have a programmable build-in laptop keyboard a while ago (unfortunately I never found an appropriate solution for that problem, as build-in keyboards are not connected via USB).

(John T. Johnson) #5

You might be able to use Karabiner Elements to do what you want.
I use it to map caps lock to F18. Beyond that, I don’t know much about it.
macOS only, AFAIK.

(John T. Johnson) #6

Hammerspoon might be useful as well. I haven’t used it, but it seems to be the more difficult to use cousin of Keyboard Maestro.