Keyboard.io Model 100

With Jesse and Kaia having teased the model100 on twitter, there are some Questions popping up in my head.

It has been said that this week the model01q will be sold out for ever.

• Will the model100 have the same wooden enclosure? So if a model01 enclosure breaks will it be possible to order a new enclosure out of wood that fits?

• Some keycaps will differ in height, will it be possible to order keycaps for the model01 that feel the same?

I wish keyboard.io to strive and better luck than what they experienced with model01.

3 Likes

I doubt you will. AFAICT the new key caps are made with a Cherry stem: https://twitter.com/keyboardio/status/1218013723010297856/photo/1. The Model01 has a Matias/Alps stem. I don’t expect the kind people of keyboard.io to create the new caps also with an Alps stem.

Looking at this tweet they posted in the conversation, this is expected to be possible.

Thank you. Also no confirmed on twitter that keycaps for model01 will be continued to be produced.

I’m very curious how the keyboard layout will work for the model100. Coincidentally, I bought an Atreus 2 last fall before rumors of the model100 surfaced, to serve as my cafe keyboard. I’ve really been struggling with getting the layout to be a reasonable facsimile of my model01. Two strategies I’ve thought of so far:

• use the bottom row as a function row and programmer key filler (=, ?, etc), and that works okay (but sacrifices having a number row). I’m really struggling to make this work for me – and failing :’(
  • a new thought I haven’t tried yet: don’t use the bottom row as a function row (getting a number row back, and matching the way the model01 home position) - this leaves one ‘fn’ key in the middle of the keyboard for each hand - maybe with some creative use of press/hold toggle keys I can make this work. We’ll see!

Regarding the Atreus, I’ve played a bit with trying to come up with a layout that’s close to the Model01’s, at least in spirit:

Something along these lines might work for the Atreus1 too (which has 2 thumb keys less). This does not have a number row either, but personally, I found a numpad arrangement on a layer much more comfortable to use: I can use a single hand to enter any digit, instead of having to use two!

2 Likes

Ooh, nice, thanks for that. My current mapping is similar in a lot of ways (using QMK), with numbers/fkeys as rows (I’m with algo on that one; its been a LONG time since I made much use of number pads!).

Huh? How did you do that? I thought it wasn’t out yet.

1 Like

Ah, my bad - Atreus. Just Atreus :slight_smile:

1 Like