Keyboard.io Model 100

I’m german, too.
Kaleidoscopes layer system makes it very easy to fit in those many (four) special symbols.
The M01 is pretty ergonomic and I actually even do not use the outermost column and the uppermost row as I don’t want to stretch too much. I find it more convenient to use more layers.

Oh, btw. I am typing around 40 h a week on that thing.

sure… I know the layer system from the Ergodox and the qmk firmware. But this is the beauty of having enough room: you can chose! :wink:

If everything can be mapped, I am totally fine!

I also came from ErgoDox. The Erg is collecting dust since the M01 arrived. It just can’t compete with the M01’s thumb keys and of course its firmware. But as a long term C++ developer and Kaleidoscope contributer I may be slightly biased.

yeah… the Thumbcluster on the Ergodox is a bit useless… can’t reach half of the keys there…

so, waiting eagerly for the M100 then…

does anybody know, when this will surface?

They say “late this year.” If you don’t want to wait, there are usually a few used Model01s for sale on the forum.

Thanks, I will have a look… but it’s a bit hard to know, if waiting would be worth it, not knowing what’s going to change…

It will be the same as far as layout.

that is definitely a point. But not sure, what kind of “electronics” they are going to change and what that will bring. maybe hot swappable key switches and cherry mx keys… which would be a plus

Yes, that’s the plan. More info here: https://mobile.twitter.com/keyboardio/status/1217962250255814656

@zagdul check out the Class 1 (default) layout here: https://github.com/andrewgdotcom/Model01-Firmware and let me know how it suits you. :slight_smile:

I need to dive into the software still, just used to QMK on my ergodox and the SmartSetApp from the kinesis freestyle edge…
I do not really get how the kaleidoscope software works yet.

More storage would be great!

I use Kaleidoscope on both my two Model 01s and my ErgoDox EZ. I have the same basic layouts, in fact I made a little macro that comments out different things in the sketch to switch back and forth from one to the other), but my ErgoDox EZ has enough storage to do everything I want to do whereas the Model 01 doesn’t, so I still use the ErgoDox a lot (and besides I only have two Model 01s :slight_smile:

I reckon I can probably make everything else work the way I want on the Model 01 if I sacrifice the LED functionality, but I hate to compromise. If the Model 100 (is that what we are calling version 2?) had more storage for the sketch it could do some really cool things that it cannot do now.

Why 100? What about 10 and 11? Does it mean 4 times as much storage for the sketch!!!?

1 Like

If you’re having space issues, there are a couple of tricks that can save you some. The major one is completely removing the keymap from PROGMEM, and only storing it in EEPROM. That’s 128 bytes / layer, half a kilobyte for only 4 layers!

While not supported out of the box at the moment, if you disable BootKeyboard support, that will save even more, at the cost of not being able to use the keyboard anywhere that needs boot protocol.

But yeah, having more space would be very nice.

One thing I really like with the Planck keyboard is the sound…

It’s could seems totally useless, but having a place somewhere to add a buzzer should be a coolest thing :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

There was a backer update:
https://mailchi.mp/keyboard/atreus-shipping-soon-model-100-in-development?e=dddd415201

Still there is the question whether the wooden enclosure will be changeable between model-01 and model-100. I think this will clear when model-100 final design will be going to the factory. What I like about the new wooden enclosure is that keyboard.io chose to use walnut as with the palm rest for the atreus. Great choice!

2 Likes

The name is covered in the backer news:

An aside : Why are we calling it the Model 100? Well, we’d been planning on numbering our keyboards in binary: Model 01, Model 10, Model 11, Model 100, Model 101, etc. In decimal numbers, those would be the Model 1, Model 2, Model 3, Model 4, and Model 5.

We’re not quite sure where this idea came from, but at least one part of the genesis was that the “io” in “Keyboardio” looks a lot like binary. As we got ready to call the new keyboard the Model 10, we realized just how confusing it could be to have two very similar keyboards with the model numbers “10” and “01.” “Model 100” is different enough from “Model 01” that we don’t think there’s much chance of confusion. If we were to be truly pedantic, as our second keyboard the Keyboardio Atreus should technically be considered the Model 10. To make the numbering scheme work out properly, we’d need to sneak in a third keyboard (Model 11) before the Model 100 for it to truly be our fourth (100th) keyboard but that’s not looking likely right now. We’re working hard to get the Model 100 ready for you as quickly as we can.

I like Model 100. It does make it seem like there were two mysterious limit-production models in between. If there ever is a third model it should be the Model 111. My OCD would force me to buy three of them.

I was hoping for a more Atreus-like design but with ALL the keys the Model 01 has, but not having a bulky heavy wooden enclosing…

I love the wooden enclosure. This is what makes this keyboard different. And it feels great. I would really miss it. Although i understand that a more portable version would also be cool