Keyboard.io Model 100

Well, the more portable version of the Model01 is the Atreus :slight_smile:

Maybe an Atreus62 or Atreus64 after the Model100 ?

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=16274

The wooden structure is what really make the difference for meā€¦
ā€¦ If it wasnā€™t so complicated to cnc-ize for mass production, a wooden Dactyl may be something I want to try !

If we are talking about wishes for Model 100, Iā€™d like an addon to make it wireless, probably bluetooth. Iā€™d use it to connect the keyboard to my phone and to the computer connected to my tv.

2 Likes

Yes, subject was about what will be the Model100, not his successor :slight_smile:

Having the possibility to pair with all my equipment will be a great +1 !
But I think a custom DIY box would suffice to fulfill my needs (and sharing also my mouse, trackpad and tablet by the same hub).

I had some kind of projects in my bookmarks for long :

ā€¦ Need to update my research onto this, but not having wireless possibilities will not be a nogo for me !

As the M100 will have Kailh hot-swap sockets, for MX compatible switches, I really hope the M100 will fit standard 1U keycaps. I love my M01, but I really miss the ability to throw on my favorite keysets.

I realize it will not fit the rounded shape of the wooden enclosure, but I hope the shape still allows to fit standard 1U caps, even if that means there will be a gap between wood and the keycaps.

Well, better will be even to go completely to standard shaped caps, but I understand the current shape is part of the brand. But I can image going to standard shaped caps will also make it possible to reduce the costs of manufacturing.

Iā€™ve baked the Keyboard.io Atreus before having found a Model01ā€¦
ā€¦ Now Iā€™m able to use it as my main keyboard (still a little slow, but how pleasant !)ā€¦
ā€¦ And then I wonder if I will be as happy with a flat, un-sculptured, set of keycaps ?

The Model01 keycaps sculpture and placements are not just aesthetics, they are part of what make this keyboard so great to use.

Price may not be a great factor here, and standardization not the way to be unique :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe someday keyboadio will offer 24 keyboards:

• 3 sizes: Atreus, Model01, huge
  • with or without wooden enclosure
  • standard or sculpted keycaps
  • with or without palm key

Wouldnā€™t that be awesome? Iā€™d buy them all.

Agree completely. After all the work Jesse and Kaia have done designing the keycaps, I highly doubt they will just give them up for the Model100. That would make me very disappointed.

3 Likes

BTW a sculpted keycaps set designed for the Atreus (MX mount compatible, so suitable also for Ergodox, Planck and other non stagged keyboards) will definitely be something Iā€™ll bake on Kickstarter for Christmas :christmas_tree:

What do you mean bake on kickstarter? Are you going to do a kickstarter and design one? Iā€™m in if you do.

No, that the world of J&K, and they do it well :slight_smile:
ā€¦ but if they go for it, Iā€™ll be one of the firsts to make a command !

100% this. I love the layout of the Model 01 but even after using it as my primary keyboard for a couple of years, the curved/sculpted keys get in the way of my typing to some degree. I would love the same key layout but with flat/normal keys.

Having the ability to change out the keyswitches will be huge too. I have the Atreus and have changed out the keyswitches for the Kaihl silent pinks and they feel great. Combined with the flat keycaps, this thing feels great. If the Model 100 doesnā€™t deliver on what Iā€™m desiring after using both keyboards from Keyboardio, I would consider building my own so that I can have it.

Does anyone know what is the Model 100 current status? Is it going to be available in January 2021 or rather December 2021. I definitively would prefer the Model 100 but if I have to wait a full year then Iā€™ll probably buy an ErgoDox Moonlander.

By the way is it that wooden enclosure that expensive and difficult to produce in low volumes? Personally I would be glad to try a plastic version for the beginning.

Unlikely itā€™ll be ready in two months, lol. That seems very soon. Theyā€™ve been busy with the Atreus. There are used Model01s available though.

Yeah, the Moonlander has become very popular and I think itā€™s grabbing some sales that the Model100 would have fit in for with a lot of people. I personally know 3-4 people that decided to get the Moonlander instead due to this (and another 3-4 that got it because they couldnā€™t wait but are still looking to buy the Model100 as well, when released).

I think being able to have standard keycaps is appealing in a way (and I do wish I could get some of the sets out there and use them), but I really like the sculpted keycaps of the Model01 and can tell I wouldnā€™t be as happy without them.

1 Like

Just looked at it. I donā€™t see how it compares at all:

1. Itā€™s ugly
  2. Uses the now-obsoleted QMK. Keyboardioā€™s is so much better.
  3. No palm keys at all.

I donā€™t think it is stealing any sales of anyone with taste, lol.

But you know whatā€™s really missing from the market? A high-quality ergo keyboard with enough keys. Keyboardio really needs to make one of those. No existing keyboard has enough keys.

1 Like

Much as I love my 01, I agree it doesnā€™t have quite enough keys. My Kinesis Advantage is the only keyboard I have which does.

Can i have a option for maple wooden case?
As i saw the plan to change the wood, I mind it.
Thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™d guess preorders in Q1, delivery from q2?

Hopefully a bit sooner :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen another dozen Moonlanders go out to people that couldnā€™t wait for the Model100 since posting this.

• Itā€™s not ugly to many people
  • Most of these people donā€™t know or care about QMK vs Kaleidoscope. Many of them donā€™t want to dig into the firmware itself. What they do see and love is the simplicity of the Oryx configurator for the Moonlander.
  • I agree that the lack of palm keys is huge, but once again, most people donā€™t care or really understand how awesome they are.

Mainly, people have money in their pocket and want to get into a solution now, not some unknown time in the future. The Moonlander has been the biggest hit keyboard in my mech keyboard circles as of late and is becoming most peoples first foray into split ortholinear boards.

1 Like

I got the Moonlander but Iā€™ll probably return it. The thumb keys angle is too big. The pinky finger keys are too high, they should be much lower compared to the ring finger keys. I have moved pinky keycaps one row down but it that position they are too low. Now I am thinking about buying high SA keycaps for pinky keys and XDA low keycaps for the middle finger keys. Sounds familiar? BTW the Oryx configurator is great.

After Iā€™ll return the Moonlander Iā€™ll probably buy the Kyria keyboard as it has much better pinky keys location and thumb keys angle. But it requires to solder all elements which scares me a bit.

Keyboardio team should really simplify non essential features and for example offer a plastic enclosure. It seems that the wooden enclosure is very difficult to produce.

1 Like