Putting Atreus on top of a laptop keyboard?

Does anyone have a setup for placing their Atreus keyboard on top of their laptop, to replace the built-in keyboard. Like this:

This photo is from a kickstarter campaign of a specific keyboard, but I feel like you could just get some flat material from somewhere and stack an Atreus on top. The advantage here is that you still get to use the built-in trackpad, and it doesn’t take up much desk space.

1 Like

looks cool, but you’d have to be careful to raise the Atreus up enough so that none of the keys got pressed, so you’d need a couple little side stands.

A friend of mine has a GlowForge and built this specifically to fit over a MacBook Pro :slight_smile:

If you’re using a Mac, you can use Karabiner-Elements to disable the built in keyboard specifically when the Atreus is plugged in. That’s what I do, and it works great.

3 Likes

This is what I do and it works brilliantly.

The Karabiner-Elements solution is interesting, I hadn’t thought of it!

It turns out that the hardware solution is actually for sale as a real product, under the name of “keyboard bridge”. Here’s one on Amazon. I don’t have any manufacturing tools on hand, so it was nice to be able to order this as a ready-made product.

1 Like

You can even customize it!!! Now I have to figure out what to say…

Please tell me what keycaps are you using? They looks great.

I asked my friend, who says:

SA Fluffy Clouds by none other than /u/vosechu :slight_smile:
There’s still a few for sale on Novelkeys I believe
If they’re a standard stagger keyboardist, SA Cyan is what I modeled it after

For gnu + linux + xorg, I wrote a bash function which toggles on/off input from the laptop keyboard:

tk () 
{ 
    id=$(xinput --list  --id-only 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard');
    if xinput list | grep -F '∼ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard' &> /dev/null; then
        echo enabling keyboard;
        slave=$(xinput list | sed -n 's/.*slave \+keyboard (\([0-9]*\)).*/\1/p' | head -n1);
        xinput reattach $id $slave;
    else
        xinput float $id;
    fi
}
2 Likes

Thanks - works a treat! A bonus, my 28 year old kinesis advantage now has the same layout as my 2021 kinesis advantage due to the magic of Karabiner :slight_smile:

I use a quilting ruler, with non-skid feet on one side and a non-skid film on the other. The film goes on the bottom when I’m using my personal laptop, with sunken keyboard and numpad; the feet go on the bottom when using with my work laptop without a numpad - they provide just enough clearance to suspend the Atreus over the keys.

A 4" × 14" ruler is just right for a 15" laptop.

2 Likes

I bought some plastic binders from Amazon. The plastic seemed to be about the right thickness and stiffness. I cut out a rectangle of plastic from a binder cover, with some tabs on the top to hold it in place, to cover the laptop keyboard. Then I put the Atreus on top. I’ve never had an issue with laptop key getting pressed with this configuration. It works great except that it traps heat. On my Mac, it seems a fair amount of heat is radiated from the keyboard area, which I never noticed until I covered it with a piece of plastic and an external keyboard. I’m going to give the Karabiner-Elements a try. That seems like a better solution.

1 Like

I found this design on thingiverse and it costs less than $1 worth of plastic. 3D printers are so common now that you’d probably know a friend’s friend who owns one. Or find a local prin shop who’d print it for you.