Windows 10 - Chrysalis displays blank screen on startup

Are there additional dependencies that I might be missing?
I just received my new Atreus, and downloaded the latest version of Chrysalis, but when it opens it is just an empty window.

(Windows 10)

The keyboard seems to be fully functional, just the default layout is not usable for me.

Hi Craig,

Can you hit Control-Shift-i ? That should open a debugging window. From there, click on “Console” - I suspect there will be some red error lines that clue us into what’s going wrong.

Alas, she be unresponsive. Ctrl-shift-i yields no change.

Can you try starting up Chrysalis without the Atreus plugged in? That might help narrow in on the problem.

Identical behavior with or without the Atreus.

Can I assume that there currently isn’t the option to provide a command line argument to get it to launch with the debug window open?

I don’t have a win–10 box handy today to verify that --debug won’t do what you want.

Just to confirm, are you running the latest release (0.7.9) or the latest dev build?

Would you mind trying 0.7.6 to see if it behaves differently?

no problem, I have the 0.7.9, but I can download an older version ati give that a try. I’m setting up an ubuntu virtual machine as we speak as that should both allow me to configure the keyboard and perhaps build in some debug to help solve this issue

Same issue with 0.7.7, and 0.7.5, I did not see a precompiled binary for 0.7.6 but I suspect it would behave the same.

If 0.7.5 and 0.7.7 behave the same, then yeah, that answers my question. Solely as a debugging step, do you have another Win 10 PC around?

(Also, is the machine you’re trying on locked down by corporate IT policy or is it a consumer machine?

1 Like

I am trying on a personal machine, I have another machine I will be able to try later today.

1 Like

Yes, on another machine, the current version is working. So there is something up with my machine in particular. I was able to use Chrysalis via an Ubuntu virtual machine so I have the first layer set up for now. I will still have to figure out why I cant use the software on my main machine.

1 Like

I had a little time to try to debug this, the debug screen not showing is unrelated… I am unable to get it to accept Ctrl + Shift + i, it only registers as the control. I have tried a few different methods, but they didnt work. for now I changed the source to open the debug when I hit ctrl alone. and that window will show.

My only error showing at the moment is the following, (while running in debug from VSCode)

Uncaught TypeError: styles$1.makeStyles is not a function
at Object. (F:\Chrysalis\node_modules\notistack\src\SnackbarContainer.tsx:7:18)
at Object. (F:\Chrysalis\node_modules\notistack\dist\notistack.cjs.development.js:973:3)
at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:880:30)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:892:10)
at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:735:32)
at Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:648:12)
at Module._load (electron/js2c/asar.js:717:26)
at Function.Module._load (electron/js2c/asar.js:717:26)
at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:775:19)
at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:68:18)

my assumption at this point is that I am getting a styling error, possibly just not loading the sizes etc

Would you mind opening a bug report ticket at https://github.com/keyboardio/Chrysalis/issues?

Can you also try the latest development build (or master, if you’re running from a git checkout), perhaps? (We recently replaced notistack, which seems to be throwing the error here).

I will open an issue in the Git hub when I get a bit further with my own troubleshooting,

I did a pull from the Git master but get the following issue. I cleared out the node_modules and did a new npm install, it might still be a configuration error on my part, I have not had more time to delve further.

Uncaught Error: Invalid hook call. Hooks can only be called inside of the body of a function component. This could happen for one of the following reasons:

1. You might have mismatching versions of React and the renderer (such as React DOM)
  2. You might be breaking the Rules of Hooks
  3. You might have more than one copy of React in the same app
    See https://fb.me/react-invalid-hook-call for tips about how to debug and fix this problem.
    at resolveDispatcher (F:\Chrysalis\node_modules\react\cjs\react.development.js:1465:13)
    at useMemo (F:\Chrysalis\node_modules\react\cjs\react.development.js:1520:20)
    at I18nextProvider (F:\Chrysalis\node_modules\react-i18next\dist\commonjs\I18nextProvider.js:16:34)
    at renderWithHooks (webpack-internal:///./node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:12903:18)
    at mountIndeterminateComponent (webpack-internal:///./node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:14985:13)
    at beginWork (webpack-internal:///./node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:15590:16)
    at performUnitOfWork (webpack-internal:///./node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:19277:12)
    at workLoop (webpack-internal:///./node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:19317:24)
    at HTMLUnknownElement.callCallback (webpack-internal:///./node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:149:14)
    at Object.invokeGuardedCallbackDev (webpack-internal:///./node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.development.js:199:16)
    webpack-internal:///…evelopment.js:17082 The above error occurred in the component:
    in I18nextProvider

Consider adding an error boundary to your tree to customize error handling behavior.
Visit https://fb.me/react-error-boundaries to learn more about error boundaries.

So following a couple of the debugging steps from the link react provided, I only have one version and it is a new enough version

PS F:\Chrysalis> npm ls react-dom
chrysalis@0.7.9 F:\DevProjects\Chrysalis
`-- react-dom@16.8.5

PS F:\Chrysalis> npm ls react-native
`-- react-native@0.63.3

PS F:\Chrysalis> npm ls react
`-- react@16.13.1

React Hook useEffect has missing dependencies: ‘colorButtonsAmount’ and ‘indexFocusButton’. Either include them or remove the dependency array. You can also do a functional update ‘setColorButtonsAmount(c => …)’ if you only need ‘colorButtonsAmount’ in the ‘setColorButtonsAmount’ call
src\renderer\components\ColorPalette\ColorButtonsArea.js:78:6

Hm, interesting. I do get those errors as well, since we upgraded one of the underlying libraries, but they weren’t fatal for me on neither Linux nor Windows. I’ll try to tackle them, and see if that helps you get further.

Thanks for the debugging so far!

1 Like

This one was just a warning, I made a quick fix to see if it would have any impact on the other error, but it did not. After the pull I am no longer getting a blank screen, just an error screen prompting me to report the issue to github so I would count that as good progress.