I broke my keyboard. Help plz

Hi,

I accidentally bended the USB-C conector. The keyboard turned off. I forced it back a bit and now it turns on, but it seems that the soldering or the conector itself are not in good state. The keys seems to work because the LED respond, but the computer receives nothing.

I think I could replace the connector. What do you think?? Where can I find a replacement??

Thank you so much

Before replacing the connector, try reflowing the solder on the existing one, using a heat gun or a soldering iron (ideally on low to medium power, if possible). That might be enough to get it working again.

I got a set of connectors and took the keyboard to a local repair place. Fingers crossed.

Itā€™s kind of repaired. It only works for one side of the usb-c cable.

I was wondering if there is any way to get replacement parts and board schemasā€¦ @jesse

The part youā€™re looking for is one of these: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jae-electronics/DX07B024JJ2R1500/670-2847-1-ND/5395889

As a heads up, half of the contacts are -underneath- the part. It is, at best, a difficult repair without a reflow oven.

1 Like

The technician said me that he almost gave up on repairing it.

I was actually asking for a full board. Do you have plans for provide this kind of replacements? One thing that worries me is that if there is no more production of this keyboard and thus there will be no spare partsā€¦

| escorponox Carlos Coves Prieto
June 5 |

• | - |

The technician said me that he almost gave up on repairing it.

I was actually asking for a full board. Do you have plans for provide this kind of replacements? One thing that worries me is that if there is no more production of this keyboard and thus there will be no spare partsā€¦

Unfortunately, we donā€™t have stock of full PCBs for the Model 01. (We have a few whole units reserved for warranty replacements.)

Weā€™re working on an updated keyboard with the same shape and layout, the Model 100, which we hope to debut before the end of the year.

Sounds good!!!

Be sure to build one extra PCB for me :wink:

The horse has bolted of course, still you may benefit with half your connection and others may stumble upon this thread.

After reading about magnetic USB-C-connectors, I ordered a couple to prevent wear on the USB port. I use my Model-01 at work and at home, so it sees quite a few (dis)connects.

I have, after a year and a half, just gone through the first of those connectors. The glue connecting the magnet to the wire-head disconnected, the connector still works and I imagine it is easily repaired with a drop of glue.

Mine are labelled ā€˜Essagerā€™. When selecting a cable over on Aliexpress, I spend days comparing one and another. In the end I found out the mechanism is simple, and I think you could order any of them, as long as it has data lines as well as charging wires.

I mention it, because I canā€™t imagine bending the on-board connector if the USB-C-connector is attached magnetically only.

-edit- Forgot to mention, the on-board USB-connector has hardly seen any wear, and works without a flaw :wink:

1 Like

For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™ve seen those magnetic connectors result in a toasted keyboard. Itā€™s very easy to generate a short-circuit.

1 Like

Thatā€™s worth quite a bit.

Iā€™ll reserve some time to try different angles of mating both ends to find out when shorts occur.

Can you elaborate on the circumstances in which you saw it happen? Case of ā€œbad luck if it happensā€, or more ā€œbe happy it didnā€™t happen on the first tryā€?

I donā€™t have good data, just ā€œit got friedā€, sadly.