Replacing the interconnecting cable

The longer interconnecting cable supplied seems to have it’s own strong will, and doesn’t like to lie down and play nice. This is more of an issue at school where my desk is more shallow, and smaller. The short flat cable is fine, of course, and looks like InstallerParts cables I’ve used for Ethernet.

I wonder, would it be possible/advisable/not-void-warranty-able to use a 1.5 foot InstallerParts cable to interconnect the two halves?

2 Likes

Any standard RJ45 ethernet cable should work, the one you linked appears to fit that bill. Using a custom interconnect cable does not void your warranty under normal circumstances.

3 Likes

Cool. I just checked the longer interconnect cable supplied with the keyboard, and it is straight through.
There are a few varieties of standard Ethernet cables, so I thought it better to ask.

Thanks!

Yeah, I had trouble with how rigid the smaller one was, and the larger one was too large, so got a similar length more flexible one and haven’t looked back!

4 Likes

Just bought a new crimper/plugs and made this today!

IMG_0297

I have some flat a black cat6 on order and I plan on making a larger version of the mini cable we got in the box.

The one feature of the little cable I had not noticed until today is the plugs reverse sides which makes it easier to connect.

2 Likes

Nice!
The plugs have to switch sides so that pin 1<=>pin 1.

Much better!

4 Likes

I got a 50cm cable that I keep looped for my normal spread and can stretch out if I need more distance. It’s a little stiff, flat, braided cover. I couldn’t find one in black but that’s really not a bother for me.

3 Likes

FWIW Inspired by this thread I warped back to the dialup days for this old retractable Ethernet cable… works, but I still prefer the simple flat Ethernet cables.

BITD (Back in the day) When traveling, we carried both the ubiquitous RJ11/14 cable for in-room dialup (should we be so lucky) and the RJ45 for the prize and much sought after in-room Ethernet jack. We often rated hotel rooms by how good the Internet connections were. A good bed was second to communicating. These retractable units were the “bee’s knees” for managability.

5 Likes

It’s possible to coil cables with hot air, which I found to be a nice solution. Here’s what I ended up with:

The third image shows my current setup, with the connection cable hidden under the device behind the keyboard. It’s out of the way and practically invisible.

9 Likes

Thank you! I forgot mine a couple of hours away and haven’t been able to use the keyboard…

I really like what you did there @Simon-Claudius!

Ideally I’d like a coiled cable with braided sleeve, just like @danimal’s.

Does anyone know if I could order them somewhere, probably custom made?

1 Like

Wish the long cable delivered with the model 100 would have been exchanged for a length and quality which better fits the keyboard. Very few will need a 1m cable, but one with a length below half a meter… I bought a nice braided one (0,25m), but that was too stiff - especially because the connector was rotated with 180°, which makes sense for the super-short cable, but is not ideal when the keyboard halves are not connected. I will have to try others. Would be great if for future shipments a good short-middle cable could be delivered!

I used the included 2m interconnect cable and followed this DIY guide to coil it (like Simon did above). The interconnect isn’t braided, but it still worked pretty well. I might get a braided cable and coil that just for the aesthetics.

2 Likes