Tab key sticking, appears to be a firmware issue – how can I debug?

Recently, my tab key started “sticking” – if I tap it once, my OS continues to receive tab key presses as if it were held down/repeating. As soon as I tap another key, the repeating stops.

I took my board apart, and checking resistance at the key switch, it does not appear as though this is a problem in the key switch itself; as soon as I release the key physically, resistance goes to infinity. However, the key repeat continues.

The particularly odd thing is that this behavior started spontaneously; it was not tied to any changes to my firmware.

Once I realized the physical switch was likely not at fault (though I had already tried the alcohol cleaning method a couple of times), I started poking at my firmware. I ended up updating Kaleidoscope and making the necessary changes to accommodate that update, and at some point the problem disappeared. I assumed somehow updating or re-flashing my firmware enough times fixed it.

However, today it’s back :cry:

Are there things I can do to further debug this? I’ve tried restarting my OS, uninstalling Karabiner-Elements (because it’s keyboard-related and I was trying anything I could think of), but nothing has had any effect that I can tell.

My current firmware as of this writing is here in case anyone is feeling extra generous and spots anything suspect.

After writing the above, I thought “I should try the default firmware one more time”. So now, after installing that, I can report that with the default firmware, my keyboard is sending whatever key is pressed, and also the “right option” key each time. This is as reported by Karabiner EventViewer, and by matching up the output with what happens on my MBP built-in keyboard when pressing a key with alt/option held down. E.g. if I tap the A key on my Model 01 with default firmware installed, I get: å, which matches what happens if I hold alt and tap that on my MBP keyboard: å.

This seems really bizarre to me. Perhaps this provides more clues as to what’s going on?

Thanks for any help debugging this; it’s driving me rather nuts.

Update: I think I may have fixed it, but removing unused mappings that sent tab presses, as seen in this commit: https://github.com/tnorthcutt/Model01-Firmware/commit/3ba9727ad7e095afcf1cb12d8f49153624fc31c7

But, I’m still not sure that’s what fixed it, since I also thought I fixed it a few days ago, only for the problem to spontaneously (this is the baffling part!) reappear.

Well, the latest changes now appear to have disabled all of my macros/magic combos :upside_down_face:

…is there a way to debug those not working?

Two things:

1. Have you used Chrysalis to configure a keymap in EEPROM? That would override the hard-coded one in your Kaleidoscope sketch.

2. The repository for your Kaleidoscope sketch appears to be private (or otherwise inaccessible), so I can’t see your code via the links you posted.