What to do if your keyboard seems to duplicate keystrokes or a key stops working

Indeed, computing the frequency of chatter reports across everyone who’s emailed us clusters around ETAOIN SHRDLU + Space/Backspace.

In addition to the hardware cleaning procedure we’re happy to send to anybody who contacts us at help@keyboard.io, we’ve got an updated keyscanning algorithm that seems to pretty much eliminate the issue for anyone seeing duplicate keypresses. If you’re seeing -missing- keypresses, you’ll need either the cleaning procedure or to have us swap out the misbehaving switches under warranty.

1 Like

I had this problem initially on one key and the fix worked for a time, although I’ve repeated the procedure to shoo it away a few times since then. Not too bothered after having learned the underlying physical cause; I’d expect it to work its way out permanently eventually.

Wondering if cold exacerbates the problem. The first time I encountered it was a freezing week in December, and there’s another cold snap happening here currently…

That test mode is pretty useful, I’ve just used it to uncover and pre-emptively fix a few keys before they started acting up in normal use. I know it’s not something end users should ever need to poke at, but taking the blind trial and error out of the equation reduces this from an annoyance to a mild amusement for me :)

Is it time that we post the official information on how one should clean the Matias switches in the Model 1? @jesse

I have over 5 cases of needing to reference how to clean these switches and each time I have to reference past support emails from Keyboardio and or recommend people contact the help email alias.

Are we still needing to contact help via email to get this valuable potentially time saving information? Seems like we should have an official post / procedure, since it seems like this issue may be fairly common if your keyboard get a lot of use and if it has the over lubed switches.

This cleaning procedure should be the first thing someone tries before attempting to disassemble switches or un-solder and start replacing switches. The cleaning process generally works, It has worked over 5 times for me to remove chatter temporarily up to 3 months at a time. In once case it fix a switch that I thought for sure was going to need to be taken apart or replaced.

I can’t imagine how bad my keyboard would be working if it was never cleaned since I put it into continuous service, and it seems likely that there could be many folks thinking they have bad switches, when really cleaning would resolve the issues.

To be honest as a public service we should laminate and print the instructions and attached it to the back of of the keyboard permanently. Since I imagine in the distant future it would save a lot of these keyboards from ending up in the trash.

2 Likes

You are not wrong. We do like to be able to talk directly to folks running into issues because it gives us a chance to help them, but at this point there’s no real need to “hide” the information. I’ll update the post with our instructions.

I got the clear keycaps recently and had ordered a WASD keycap puller based on the recommendation of one of the threads here. Still I was a bit afraid to do something wrong so got my local computer technician to replace my keycaps for me using the puller*.

I did test all the keys for working correctly afterwards and didn’t run into any problems so far except for that:

Now I find that my / key (right hand, bottom row, second column from right) registers repeated key presses now and then. It’s rare, and I tried / + backspace about twenty times just now without any problems but it does occur now and then.

Anything I should do/check?

Any advice is appreciated!

(* He was like “how can you type when there are no letters on these” and I was like “well I type three different scripts all the time and never look at the keyboard for that” – two of them Tamil and Devanagari don’t have the symbols etched anyway and the Latin QWERTY symbols don’t correspond to my Workman layout… I am wondering when it will be possible to order custom-etched keycaps for the M01…)

Had the same problem after changing my caps. Found the solution on another forum. Remove keycap of problem key, press switch down and blow the area out with a can of air. Reseat keycap and you’re done. Worked for me.

1 Like

Sorry for late reply. Will try if needed. For now problem seems to have abated on its own.

Is it time that we post the official information on how one should clean the Matias switches in the Model 1? @jesse

I have over 5 cases of needing to reference how to clean these switches and each time I have to reference past support emails from Keyboardio and or recommend people contact the help email alias.

Are we still needing to contact help via email to get this valuable potentially time saving information? Seems like we should have an official post / procedure, since it seems like this issue may be fairly common if your keyboard get a lot of use and if it has the over lubed switches.

This cleaning procedure should be the first thing someone tries before attempting to disassemble switches or un-solder and start replacing switches. The cleaning process generally works, It has worked over 5 times for me to remove chatter temporarily up to 3 months at a time. In once case it fix a switch that I thought for sure was going to need to be taken apart or replaced.

I can’t imagine how bad my keyboard would be working if it was never cleaned since I put it into continuous service, and it seems likely that there could be many folks thinking they have bad switches, when really cleaning would resolve the issues.

To be honest as a public service we should laminate and print the instructions and attached it to the back of of the keyboard permanently. Since I imagine in the distant future it would save a lot of these keyboards from ending up in the trash.

7 Likes