What to do if your keyboard seems to duplicate keystrokes or a key stops working

contact support@keyboard.io this is a common issue contacting support will get instructions to fix this issue and extend your warranty. There is a firmware fix coming soon™ that is supposed to help with these issues.

This is known as chatter, and sadly, sometimes happens with earlier Model01s, due to the lubing applied by the keyswitch vendor (as far as I understand). Shoot a mail to help@keyboard.io, and they’ll help you fix it.

Great. thanks for the quick follow up folks. Amazing. I’ve sent the email. Lets see what transpires.

I’ve noticed sometimes when I press the space or backspace keys while typing I get duplicated key presses. The multi-presses seem to cluster together, as sometimes I can go for a while without seeing any and then extra spaces start popping up in-between almost every word. I don’t think I’m pressing the keys any differently but that is of course possible; maybe a more diagonal pressure on the key could cause it to jitter on the switch at the actuation point and send multiple key presses?

It has happened much less frequently on non-thumb keys. I had a bad episode before leaving work this past Thursday where I was getting so many duplicated characters I checked if it wasn’t something wrong with my vim config (I saw dupes in other applications as well to confirm it). The problem continued after I unplugged/replugged the USB cable but after leaving work that day I haven’t had an episode that bad.

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? I am using a M01 Quiet with a mostly default layout on Ubuntu 16.04.

PS I counted 5 double spaces and one triple space while typing this post. I left them in the text but I think they won’t survive the conversion from markdown.

Edit: Just reading around I’ve found this is called “chatter” and not “jitter” like I thought. There’s a test mode to check your switch function with and a [help address to email] (What to do if you experience key chatter): help@keyboard.io. The test shows my keyboard has several chattery keys glowing red after running the test.

Hi.
When writting, every once in a while I type the letter “a” it appears double.
It is really annoying.

What do you think is happening?
I’m everytime more used to write with the Keyboardio, but this is a great stopper.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Regaards
Pablo.

2 Likes

Is it only the “a” key? I had the same issue on my PVT board, but it was the “t”. See if you can wiggle the key from side to side while pressed down and see if it’s sending the repeated key. If it is doing this, you should send an email to the support email address and they’ll be able to help you further. In my case, it was a bad solder point that I was able to resolder myself that fixed the issue. It could be the same in your case, or it may be the lubrication issue causing chatter. In any case, an email to support will be the best path forward to resolving your issue.

3 Likes

I would definitely send an email to help@keyboard.io. If it’s the key chatter problem, they can almost definitely help you out and they will really want to know if anyone is having the problem.

4 Likes

Unfortunately I have some brutal key chatter on my ‘u’ and ‘f’ keys. About one in 5 keypresses gives me two or sometimes three characters…

I hope something simple can be done like replacing or cleaning the guts of the key. I’d hate to have to swap the keyboard, which could take a very long time and be costly for Keyboardio.

On the other hand, I was thinking about eventually replacing the key switches with linear ones anyway, as I much prefer linear (Cherry MX Red/Pink/Silent and variants/clones). I presume the Matias linears would be similar and I’d like them more than the quiet clicks. If there’s an easier way to fix the key chatter, I’m not likely to go through the trouble of switching all the switches until my warranty period has long-elapsed, though.

I’ve had similar chatter problems before & the instructions that they provided when emailing fixed it very easily for me. I don’t want to straight-up say what the instructions are, since I know Jesse realllly wants people to email if they’re having this problem, but it is very simple & worked perfectly for me.

Okay… that is reassuring. I did email but haven’t gotten a response so far. I hope he gets back to me soon.

I just wanted to follow up that I did get a response back from Kaia with a solution and it worked immediately and haven’t noticed any chatter since. Now I can be a happy typist again :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

That’s great news to hear!

This was a helpful thread - thanks for posting. I’ll similarly email for the assist, but thought it’d be good too have another mentioon oof the issue in here. And then it might be fun for foolks to guess which key I’m having troouble with. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m guessing your keyboard is having a vowel movement. :sunglasses:

12 Likes

There is no amount of likes that would be enough for this pun. Thank you.

5 Likes

So, the pun got me contemplating why we are seeing Mr. Etaoin make his appearance in this vowel movement bug.

We are given a known distribution (frequency of letter usage) and an unknown distribution (which keys go bad). Because we see no significant change in our known distribution when it is sampled by the unknown distribution and because only a few keys per keyboard are affected, we can infer the unknown distribution is truly random (vs. affecting all the keys all the time). Such a truly random distribution makes sense given the key switches are assigned to a keyboard by grabbing them from a bin.

Thus, all keys on an early model Keyboardio have a chance of being affected, not just the commonly reported ones. The consequence of this is there is probably some poor soul who has an early model Keyboardio where the backspace key is affected and another where the prog key is affected. My guess is an affected shift key is one of the hardest keys to detect.

I’ve had numerous keys affected by this. I initially reported the problem with my ‘k’ key (great for typing names like Jakkin or Akki, but terrible for navigating in vi), but my ‘t’ key has been a more persistent troublemaker since then - requiring multiple treatments (as I was forewarned may be necessary).

I’ve found that the built-in test mode (informally documented at Kaleidoscope-Model01-TestMode documentation?) to be useful in detecting keys prone to chatter.

My typical approach in test mode is to do a quadruple-tap on each key. Those that are chattering, even below the threshold for causing noticeable issues, will light up red while the others turn green.

3 Likes

Etaoin is a girl’s name. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

My “t” key required redoing a solder joint, so it’s not the typical issue. But it was also a PVT unit before any of the MP units, so there’s that. My MP3 loud click board doesn’t have any issues, thankfully.

All I can say is… oops!
:man_facepalming: