French Drovak layout : BÉPO

YAY ! Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

FYI Mine differs very slightly from @celtic’s final design, in that the $# key stays to the left of B and Num is on the Fn layer.

Hey bépo lovers !! I’m back since I’ve received the keyboard this morning. I’ll start to play with the firmware and see whats possible. But I stumbled right away on something I didn’t expected .The keyboard is “affected” by the software layout set on the computer. As a french I’m in Fr-fr. If I want to hardcode a bépo into the keyboard, should I take the software layout into account ? or is it totally independant ?

Thanks

Hi, Alex

Yes, the OS keymap is always applied on top of whatever firmware mapping you configure in the Model01. This is a historical limitation of the keyboard hardware protocol. The keyboard itself does not send characters but scancodes (roughly equivalent to “the second key from the left on the third row down”), and it is the OS’s job to translate those into “keyboard events” that correspond to printable characters or control codes. The printed labels on the keys are just a convenience; the keyboard electronics have no concept of what keycaps are installed.

If you want to use an OS-level BEPO keymap, I recommend cloning https://github.com/andrewgdotcom/Model01-Firmware and using the default merlin2 firmware layout. There is no such thing as a “hardcoded” BEPO layout, but what you can do is remap the scancodes from their default fr_fr location to the corresponding BEPO location. This will of course assume that you have fr_fr set in the OS.

1 Like

Okaaaay ! That’s very clear. I was assuming that the keyboard could send explicit keys, because of its arduino software layer. I have to re-think my project with this new mindset, but everything can be done. Just with more limitations than expected. Thank you very much @andrewg

Hi,

That’s what I do. But I did not tested it yet.

I will also add the french AZERTY layout after.

2 Likes

hello bépoètes and keyboardio lovers,

I received my Keyboardio yesterday and could flash it with your keymap @Celtic. thank you very much, I find it very comfortable.

I have one question regarding the alt + fkeys combinations which is the only thing
I miss at the moment, working on Windows.

I found this thread Alt key combinations on Fn layer but I do not know how to make shortcuts such as alt + f4 to work.

Activating the num layer and pressing alt on the left thumb arc + f4 does not work for me.

thank you !

I’m posting the solution here even though it’s really simple, just in case someone gets stuck at the same point.

I wrongly assumed the fn keys were only on the num layer. They are also available on the normal keys via the fn modifier and the top row.

So alt + f4 on the Keyboardio in a Windows 10 environment just implies pressing alt + fn + ‘4’ on these layouts, which is in fact very logical.

I was a little confused at first with all these modifier keys available at thumbs’ reach, but now I am getting used to it and find it not only a magnificent keyboard but a very productive one too !

1 Like

Hi, thanks for this amazing keyboard.

I am planning to buy one.

I am use to bépo layout. Do you plan to print bépo layout on the keycaps?

If not, do you plan to print nothing on the keycap?

If not, I may have to choose between Colemak and Workman.

Of course, I will still be able to type bépo on it without looking at the keys, but, I would feel more happy having it print down.

All keyboards will ship with QWERTY keycaps by default, and you can buy additional keycap sets, including black painted blanks, and unpainted white blanks. There’s also a Linear A set, if you want symbols that - for most living people - make no sense, but look cool.

You can see sample pictures here:

1 Like

You know of zombies that have need of a custom made ergo kb? Where are such zombies?

Thanks for your answer.
Now, it’s clear to me.

Surely not zombies. Skeletons, at best. Possibly mummies. The people who could read that language have all been dead for at least 3000 years…

2 Likes

Hi @Celtic,

Thanks for this work. Looks promising!

I tried to install it, but I get some errors that I fixed and one I didn’t manage to fix:

Building output/Model01-Firmware/Model01-Firmware (0.0.0-gv1.22-59-gdd36-dirty) ...
In file included from /tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.cpp:1:0:
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.h:6:43: error: expected class-name before '{' token
 class NumPad_ : public KaleidoscopePlugin {
                                           ^
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.h:10:8: error: 'void NumPad_::begin()' marked 'final', but is not virtual
   void begin(void) final;
        ^~~~~
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.h:22:44: error: expected class-name before '{' token
 class FuncPad_ : public KaleidoscopePlugin {
                                            ^
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.h:26:8: error: 'void FuncPad_::begin()' marked 'final', but is not virtual
   void begin(void) final;
        ^~~~~
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.h:38:46: error: expected class-name before '{' token
 class QwertyPad_ : public KaleidoscopePlugin {
                                              ^
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.h:42:8: error: 'void QwertyPad_::begin()' marked 'final', but is not virtual
   void begin(void) final;
        ^~~~~
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.h:54:46: error: expected class-name before '{' token
 class GamingPad_ : public KaleidoscopePlugin {
                                              ^
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.h:58:8: error: 'void GamingPad_::begin()' marked 'final', but is not virtual
   void begin(void) final;
        ^~~~~
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.cpp: In member function 'void NumPad_::begin()':
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.cpp:11:16: error: 'class kaleidoscope::Kaleidoscope_' has no member named 'useLoopHook'
   Kaleidoscope.useLoopHook(loopHook);
                ^~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.cpp: In member function 'void FuncPad_::begin()':
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.cpp:69:16: error: 'class kaleidoscope::Kaleidoscope_' has no member named 'useLoopHook'
                ^~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.cpp: In member function 'void QwertyPad_::begin()':
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.cpp:126:16: error: 'class kaleidoscope::Kaleidoscope_' has no member named 'useLoopHook'
                ^~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.cpp: In member function 'void GamingPad_::begin()':
/tmp/tmp.28qihZp86v/sketch/Kaleidoscope-NumPad.cpp:183:16: error: 'class kaleidoscope::Kaleidoscope_' has no member named 'useLoopHook'
                ^~~~~~~~~~~
exit status 1

Btw, I also tried to rebase from keyboardio origin.

Could you let me know what could be done to fix this.
I would happy to contribute after all.
Thanks.

Until I have more time to reply in depth, the UPGRADING.md document might be of some help. The core issue is that we changed the plugin API since, and while we had a compatibility layer in place for a while, that has been removed as well by now. So the code will need to migrate to the new one. It’s not very hard (I hope), but I’ll happily help - probably after the holidays though, not much time to spare right now.

2 Likes

I simply manually rebase its work on the upstream branch.
Now I am taking care of my own version.
Thanks.

1 Like

Hello All,

I am back :slight_smile:.
Sorry for not responding earlier.

I have update my firmware with Kaleidoscope 2.0 (also updated in my fork.)

Here are the links :
Firmware : https://github.com/C3ltic/Model01-Firmware
Kaleidoscope : https://github.com/C3ltic/Kaleidoscope
Layout Picture : https://github.com/C3ltic/Model01-B-PO-Layout-visualisation

5 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m a fairly new model 01 user. I just got mine for the last black Friday deal.

I typed a couple of days with the default layout which is pretty usable… if we put aside the Z and W keys that are hidden in another layer and the missing Ê key.

I was looking for a minimal layout change somewhere here but all the designs I see over look like a complete rework of the layout.

So I come here to put my little contribution, basically there’s only two small changes:

• I swapped = % with Z W, letters have a direct access and symbols are on a layer,
  • I shifted print screen right to put Ê in place, on the same key as À.

Et voilà !

If someone is interested, I may upload a repo someday.

This keyboard is such a joy to use I love love it very much ! It’s such a great design it’s very satisfying to use everyday. Proud to be part of that community.

1 Like

Hi Yoann,

Thank you so much for this update. I once managed to flash your firmware, and everything had worked great for months. But I think I did something wrong recently, and now I need to reflash it.
I read all the tutorials about flashing the stock firmware, installed the Arduino IDE and stuff, but now I have no idea what to do with the firmware and kaleidoscope folders you share. Thing is I am using Windows and it is quite unclear in the tutorials :grinning:

For instance, I get a "Several librairies found for “Kaleidoscope-Colormap.h” whenever I try and compile the *.ino file.

Could you please provide a simple step-by-step guide regarding the flashing of your custom firmware?

Thank you so much for your time and work (bépo vaincra).

PS : in the meantime, I’ll take my chances with a Debian vbox, maybe it’ll do.

EDIT : well actually it didn’t do :thinking: I’m a complete noob in this field :sweat_smile:

Hello,

I search to adapt your work to use bepo on the new Atreus. Can you help me to understand your modification?

Merci d’avance

Myrddin